A few years ago, I saw an episode of The Thirsty Traveler on Fine Living Network on Belgian Beer. It wasn’t a total beer geek experience for me, but it was magical enough to make me want to seriously consider putting Belgium on my must visit list. One of the breweries he featured on the show was Brassarie Caracole, in Falmignoul – one of the smallest breweries in all of Belgium. I thought I’d never get a chance to taste their beer without visiting Belgium myself, but I was wrong. Today we’re enjoying Nostradamus, their Brown Ale, and it’s quite an experience.
In addition, we’re tasting a special beer sent to us by Sick Puppy at East Coast Hoppers in Pittsburgh – a Belgian Abbey Ale, and a fine one at that. For never brewing a Belgian before, Sick did an excellent job with this beer. The monks would be proud.
And we couldn’t do a show that didn’t involve food (that would be a crime, wouldn’t it?). So, I’m preparing chicken parmesan – a fried chicken cutlet stuffed with parmesan cheese, topped with marinara sauce, mozzarella and basil. Follow along and prepare it yourself. It’s a quick and easy Italian classic that everyone will enjoy.
Also in this episode:
• A special trip to The Bruery (but you’ll have to wait)
• Quick and easy stewed tomatoes
• Making basic marinara sauce
• Carol Blymire has lost her mind
• New game – “Name That Belgian”
• Fan Mail Box
• Michael Symon’s Dinner:Unreasonable
• CBS picking up Food Network’s scraps?
• Fresh & Easy grocery chain is gaining steam
• A hate-filled tirade on grocery store clerks (down with unions!)