I don’t know how you got your year started, but I started mine off with a real bang. A simple new years dinner with Peter & Jo at Bouchon in Beverly Hills — sounds simple enough. Except whenever Jo’s involved, unexpected things happen. Like meeting Chef Thomas Keller, in his kitchen, right in the middle of service.
In this episode:
• Momofuku by David Chang – more than just a cookbook
• Jo’s insightful post on the dangers of first impressions
• The Cove – an incredible documentary about dolphins and dangerous mercury levels in fish
• Anchor Steam’s 2009 Our Special Ale (see note below)
• Eating at Bouchon and meeting Thomas Keller
• Making Bouchon’s Puree de Pommes de Terre
• I ate a seal and I liked it
• Antibiotics in livestock is a big bad wolf knocking at our door
• Ammonia-washed beef — mmmm mmmm . . . delicious
• Poulet Rouge Chickens
Music in this episode from Smile Empty Soul. Buy their song in the iTunes Store.
Special thanks to The Onion and CNN for the additional audio.
UPDATE: Thanks to Jim for correcting me on Anchor’s “Our Special Ale.” I said in the podcast that I thought they’d been making this beer since the late 80’s. It’s actually been around since 1975! Check out the label archive.
Share this Post